Short-term programs give you a chance to study overseas in your summer or winter breaks.
Why study a short-term program?
Get a 3-6 week taste of overseas study while travelling during one of the University’s official holiday periods and receive 12.5 - 25 credit points towards your University degree.
There are several benefits to undertaking a short-term program:
- Experience new cultures, develop critical employability skills and prepare for a global future – all without the long-term commitment of semester or year-long program
- Select programs offered virtually that have been assessed as providing an international and collaborative experience for our students
- It can be easier to fit a short-term program into your degree requirements
- Short-term programs are more accessible financially and in time commitment, and for those unable to travel, the virtual programs offer a global experience
- Have access to a range of university scholarships and funding options.
To be eligible to participate in a short-term program you must:
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Be currently enrolled at the University of Melbourne, and have successfully completed a minimum of one study period and at least 37.5 credit points (undergraduate students) or one study period and at least 12.5 credit points (graduate students) before departure
- Not have an 'at risk' status at the time of application or before commencing the overseas study program.
A range of other eligibility criteria can also apply, so please see our eligibility page for full details.
There are two types of short-term programs:
- Exchange: Pay tuition fees to the University of Melbourne rather than your host institution
- Fee-paying: Pay tuition fees directly to your host institution and no fees to the University of Melbourne.
All available programs, and tuition fees for each program, are listed in the Summer or Winter program database. These programs offer credit towards your University of Melbourne degree.
Winter term (June-July): Programs will be available for applications between March to May
Explore winter programs
Summer term (Dec-Feb): Programs will be available for applications between September to November
Explore summer programs
Note: Applications open and close on a rolling basis so check back regularly during this period to see which programs are available and accepting applications. If a program was offered previously, there is no guarantee it will be offered again due to the changing nature of the short-term programs offered by our partners.
- Only programs listed in our Programs Database are eligible for academic credit towards University of Melbourne degrees. You may complete a program that is not listed in our Programs Database, but you will not receive academic credit for your participation.
- Don't pay any short-term overseas study fees (including tuition) until you have received University of Melbourne approval. If you are refused credit or decide to withdraw from the program, any fees you've paid may be forfeited.
Application dates and process
You need to start applying for a short-term program the semester prior to when you would like your experience to take place. Applications open and close on a rolling basis during the periods outlined below and depend on the program you wish to apply for and the host institution’s application deadlines.
Application deadlines for short-term programs:
- Winter term (June - July): April or May the same year.
- Summer term (Dec - Feb): October or November the same year.
- Attend a short-term program information session.
- Submit an online enquiry.
- Book an appointment. Global Learning staff are available for consultation on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Start a Live Chat with a Global Learning staff member on Tuesdays and Thursdays.