Fees and scholarships

Tell us about your enquiry and we'll let you know the best way to get help.

  • What happens to my fees if I withdraw from a subject?

    If you withdraw from a subject before the subject’s census date, you’re not liable for the fees. Any amount you’ve already paid for a withdrawn subject will appear as credit on your Fee Account Statement and will be used to cover owing tuition fees for any other enrolled subjects.

    Alternatively, you can also request a refund of credit through a Refund of Fees application. If eligible, refunds can take up to 10 business days to process.

    Need more help?

    Call us (recommended) Enquiry

  • Has the University received my recent payment yet?

    I have paid my fees, however a sanction still remains on my student account.

    You can check to see if your fee payment has been received by downloading your Fee Account Statement via my.unimelb under the ‘Fees’ tab.

    Please note it can take between 1-7 business days for the University to receive your payment, depending on your payment method (e.g., BPAY, credit card, EFT transfer). For payment timeframes, please see our Payment FAQ .

    Sanctions will be removed from your record automatically once payments have been processed.

    Need more help?

    Call us (recommended) Enquiry

  • How do I apply for a refund of my fees?

    You can apply for a fee refund if you have credit in your student account or have withdrawn from a subject before the census date.

    Please submit a Refund of Fees application by following the instructions here . If approved, the University will provide a refund via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) within 10-15 business days.

    If you’ve withdrawn from a subject after the census date, you may be eligible for fee remission in special circumstances instead.

    Need more help?

    Resources (recommended) Book an admin/general enquiry appointment

  • How do I find my fee due dates and how much I need to pay?

    Fee information, including your fee due dates, will be displayed on your Student Invoice and Statement of Liability. It can take between 24-72 hours after you've enrolled for this information to display.

    Your Statement of Liability lists the most up-to-date information about outstanding fees and payment methods available.

    You can access all your fee statements through my.unimelb . You can view instructions to access each statement here.

    Need more help?

    Resources (recommended) Book an admin/general enquiry appointment Call us

  • Why is a subject missing from my Student Invoice?

    If your enrolment changes, your Student Invoice may not accurately reflect your fee liability. To confirm your fees, you’ll need to download a Statement of Liability after finalising your enrolment (please allow 24-72 hours).

    If you need to view your payment history and tuition fee charges for the current year, you can download your Fee Account Statement via my.unimelb.

    Your Statement of Liability will only show your unpaid fees. If you’re an international student, your $17,000 deposit will be used to pay for your subject fees in your first semester when you enrol for the first time. This will be displayed on your Fee Account Statement. For more information, please see our paying your fees (international students) website.

    Need more help?

    Call us (recommended) Book an admin/general enquiry appointment (recommended)

  • Can I have an extension on my invoice due date?

    If you require a short extension on your fees, you can submit a request for a fee due date extension. You must submit this request before your current fee due date. All applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

    When you apply, you must:

    • demonstrate financial hardship or exceptional unforeseen circumstances
    • nominate a new date the fees will be paid by
    • detail the steps you will take to ensure payment is made by this date.

    You'll be notified by email within 3-5 business days if your extension has been approved (in peak periods, this can take up to 10 business days). $50 will also be charged to you and must be paid on the revised due date.

    Need more help?

    Submit a fee extension application (recommended) Book an admin/general enquiry appointment

  • What happens if I don't pay my fees on time?

    You’re required to pay your fees by the due date listed on your Student Invoice or Statement of Liability

    If your fees are due 'immediately', you have 7 days from the time you enrol/the invoice issue date to pay these fees.

    It's very important to pay your fees on time to avoid overdue fee penalties and sanctions. Students who don't pay their mandatory tuition fees by the due date will incur a late payment of $117 for each due date passed.

    IMPORTANT: If the unpaid mandatory fees are student contribution amounts under a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), no late payment penalty is charged, but your enrolment in subjects may be cancelled as required under Commonwealth legislation.

    Need more help?

    Call us (recommended) Enquiry Book an admin/general enquiry appointment

  • How do I update my bank account details to receive scholarship payments?

    If you’ve received a scholarship, please make sure your bank details are up to date to receive your payment. Payments can only be made to an Australian bank account, and you must also provide a local contact address.

    For instructions on providing your bank details and address, please see our About your scholarship website.

    Need more help?

    Manage your scholarship page (recommended) Enquiry

  • Why haven't I received my scholarship payment?

    Scholarships are scheduled to be paid on specific payment dates. Please see the About your scholarship website to ensure you've met all the requirements for your payment to be processed.

    Need more help?

    Call us (recommended) Enquiry Book an admin/general enquiry appointment

  • How do I apply for HECS-HELP loan?

    If you are a new student enrolling into a Commonwealth Supported Place you are required to complete a 'Request for Commonwealth Assistance and HECS-HELP' form as part of your administrative enrolment regardless of your eligibility to receive HECS-HELP loan or if you are in receipt of a full scholarship from the University. You are required to complete a 'Request for Commonwealth Assistance and HECS-HELP' form for any new degree you’re enrolling in.

    You will not be able to complete your enrolment until your 'Request for Commonwealth Assistance and HECS-HELP' is approved. Generally, this will happen automatically, however, if your form is 'Submitting - Awaiting Approval', you will receive instructions to your student email address within three working days with information if your form will require re-submission.

    If you are an Australian citizen or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa and wish to apply for HECS-HELP loan you must provide your Tax File Number (TFN) when completing this form.

    If you do not have a TFN, please visit the 'I don't have a TFN but wish to apply for HECS-HELP' FAQ for more information.

    Need more help?

    Call us (recommended) Enquiry

  • I have a different question