Subject withdrawal

Understand the consequences of withdrawing from a subject, the importance of subject key dates and the support available to help you manage your studies.

Before withdrawing from a subject, consider your options carefully. Read through the advice below and seek support as required.

Subject key dates and withdrawal penalties

Depending on when you withdraw from your subject, there may be financial and/or academic penalties. For the specific dates related to each subject, check the subject entry in the Handbook.

Before the subject's census date
  • Subject is fully removed from your academic transcript
  • You are not liable to pay the subject fee
  • You can still re-enrol yourself up until the subject's last date to self-enrol, or submit an Enrolment Variation form if you have Subject Coordinator approval after the last date to self-enrol has passed
After the subject's census date and before the subject's Last Date to Withdraw Without Fail
  • 'WD' (i.e. 'Withdrawn') will be recorded on your academic transcript
  • You cannot re-enrol for that study period (either by yourself or via an Enrolment Variation form) after withdrawing
  • You remain liable for the subject fees
  • Withdrawing from all subjects in a half year period will affect your academic progress and you may be required to attend an At Risk or Course Academic Progress Committee (CAPC) meeting
After the subject's Last Date to Withdraw Without Fail
  • Withdrawal is no longer permitted
  • A grade/mark will be recorded on your academic transcript
  • You remain liable for the subject fees

How to withdraw from subjects


You can withdraw from subjects online via my.unimelb:

  1. Go to the Subject Withdrawal page in my.unimelb.
  2. Select the tick box next to the subject that you plan to withdraw from.
  3. Click Withdraw.
  4. You will be taken to a Potential Withdrawal List confirmation screen. Check that your planned subject withdrawals are correct.
  5. Click Confirm.
  6. You will be taken to the Withdrawal Confirmation screen. Click Close to complete the process, or View to see the details of your withdrawal.

More information about subject withdrawal

  • Your subject withdrawal options

    Withdrawing from a subject can be a big decision, as it may have financial or academic consequences.

    Use the interactive subject withdrawal options tool to find out what options and services are available depending on your situation.

    Find out your subject withdrawal options

  • Advice for international students with a student visa

    If you withdraw from a subject before its census date and are no longer on track to complete your course by your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) end date, you must apply for a Reduced Study Load. Only students with an approved reason to reduce their study load can receive an updated Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) in order to renew their visa.

  • How your fees will be affected

    If you withdraw from a subject before the census date for that subject, your fee liability for that subject will be cancelled. The amount you paid for the withdrawn subject will appear as a credit on your Fee Account Statement. This credit will be used to cover owing tuition fees for any other enrolled subjects.

    If you have no other fees due at the time of withdrawing from a subject, you can either apply to have the money refunded to your personal bank account, or you can leave the credit in your student account to pay future tuition fees. You can check the amount of credit you may have by using the Fee Account Statement.

  • Withdrawing from all your subjects before census date

    If you withdraw from all your subjects before the census date and wish to remain enrolled at the University, you need to apply for leave or deferral depending on when you started your course:

    Failure to do so will result in being cancelled from your course for incomplete enrolment. If you are an international student visa holder, this will result in your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) being cancelled.

    If you don’t intend to continue your course, apply to withdraw from your course.

  • Withdrawing from all your subjects after census date

    If you withdraw from all your subjects after their census dates:

    • You do not need to apply for a Leave of Absence. Once the census date has passed for a subject, it is counted as part of your study load. Therefore, even after withdrawing from all your subjects, you will still be recorded as having study load for that half-year period, and so do not require a Leave of Absence. However, you will be liable for the subject fees.
    • Make an appointment to talk to a course planning adviser if you’re experiencing difficulties that are impacting on your studies, and to map out your remaining subjects. As you will no longer be on track to complete by your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) end date, you will need to catch up by enrolling in intensive Summer or Winter Term subjects.
    • Your academic progress will be affected:
      • If this is the first time you are withdrawing from all your subjects after the census date, you will have to attend an ‘At Risk’ appointment
      • Otherwise, if you have attended an ‘At Risk’ appointment previously, you will have to attend a Course Academic Progress Committee (CAPC) meeting
    • You may be eligible for subject fee remission in special circumstances.
  • Support services

    The University provides advice and services to help you with your studies:

    Explore other support services available.

  • Applying for Special Consideration after the census date

    If you did not withdraw before the census date and you need support managing your studies, you can still apply for Special Consideration.

    Applications for Special Consideration may be submitted for unexpected circumstances that:

    • are beyond your control
    • significantly impact your ability to meet your subject requirements during the period in which you undertook, or were to undertake the subject
    • did not have a full impact on you until on or after the census date.

    Outcomes for Special Consideration may include extensions to assignments, a Special Exam or permission to late withdraw from the subject.

    If you need support due to ongoing circumstances or official commitments, you should consider registering for Special Consideration (ongoing support).

  • Failing due to special circumstances

    If you did not successfully complete a subject due to special circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for Fee Remission.

    Student visa holders approved for late withdrawal of two or more subjects as an outcome of Fee Remission or Special Consideration will receive an updated Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) with a new end date to allow time to re-take the subjects.

Need help?

If you need advice about enrolment changes or course planning, support is available. Book an appointment with a course adviser to discuss your options.