Course withdrawal

The process of permanently stopping your course (degree) before completion.

Before you apply to withdraw from your course, it is recommended that you seek course advice to ensure that course withdrawal is right for you.

Please note, if you withdraw from your course but later decide to resume your studies in the same course, you will need to:

How to withdraw from your course

Before you apply for course withdrawal, first withdraw from your subjects before their census dates to avoid fee liability and a fail result.

Once you have withdrawn from your subjects you can submit a course withdrawal request online.

  1. Go to the Course Withdrawal page in my.unimelb.
  2. Fill out the form.
  3. Click Save.
  4. You will be taken to a confirmation screen. Click Confirm.
  5. You will be taken to a success screen.
  6. To upload supporting documentation, click View Application/Manage attachments.
  7. Use the file uploader to upload supporting documentation.

For graduate researchers, this is done via the 'Track and Submit Candidature Variation Applications' link. You can find more information on the Graduate Research Hub.

Please be aware that applications for course withdrawal are not automatically and immediately approved. When your request for course withdrawal has been processed, you will receive acknowledgement via your student email account.

Do deadlines apply for course withdrawal?


You can apply for course withdrawal at any time, however if the application is made after the:

  • Census date for your enrolled subjects, you will be financially liable for these subjects.
  • Last Date to Withdraw Without Fail for an enrolled subject, the course withdrawal can't be processed until final marks are entered, which may be a fail grade if you have stopped attending classes or submitting assessment.

Find out more about withdrawal deadlines.

Do I need to withdraw from my course if I’m studying somewhere else?


If you decide to study at another institution, this does not automatically remove you from your course at the University of Melbourne. You must submit a course withdrawal request to avoid financial or academic liability. VTAC and/or other institutions are not responsible for advising the University if you decide to study elsewhere.

Visa implications for international students

International students on a student visa are required to comply with visa condition 8202: meeting course requirements, which requires you to remain in a registered course.

Once your course withdrawal is processed, we will need to cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and notify the Department of Home Affairs. If you are still in Australia, you will need to depart Australia or apply for a different visa within 28 days. For more information, see the Department of Home Affairs website.

Under 18 international students

Students registered in the Under 18 International Student Supervision Program who withdraw from their course must maintain their current accommodation and welfare arrangements to retain their CAAW and student visa until new arrangements are approved or until they leave the country. For more information, see the Under 18 International Student Supervision Program page.

Alternatives to course withdrawal

If you don't wish to completely withdraw from the course you are currently undertaking there are alternative solutions, such as:

Leave of Absence

Taking a Leave of Absence allows you to take a break from your studies and have a guaranteed place in the course upon your return. You may apply to take a leave of absence for up to one year, subject to approval.

Graduate researchers should discuss their leave application with their Principal Supervisor and sponsors prior to submitting.

Reduction of course load

You may be able to reduce your course load to better suit your commitments:

Course Deferral

If you are a commencing student you can apply to defer your course commencement for up to one year from the commencement date on your original Offer Letter.