Financing travel

One of biggest considerations for many students is how to finance an overseas study experience. The cost of studying overseas varies from person to person as it depends on a number of factors, including the destination country, the program and the length of your trip.

While it helps to have a little in your savings account, there are a number of other funding options for you to consider to make overseas study as easy and affordable as possible.

Costs of study

There are a range of expenses that you will need to be mindful of when budgeting for your overseas study. These may include:

  • Subject tuition fees (Note: Exchange students do not pay tuition to the host institution)
  • Travel insurance fees (Note: The University offers free travel insurance to students travelling on approved University programs)
  • Passport and visa fees, including travel to another city for an interview if necessary
  • Flights and in-country transport costs
  • Accommodation (on or off-campus) fees
  • Health insurance fees
  • Daily living expenses
  • Spending money.

Read more about how to plan your budget.

Keep in mind

It's a good idea to hold off paying for anything until you have received your acceptance notification from your host institution. This ensures you don't forfeit any costs paid if your overseas study plans need to change.

Consider funding options

All Australian students in a Commonwealth supported place are eligible to apply for an OS-HELP loan from the Australian Government, which allows eligible students to defer loan repayments through the taxation system.

If you receive Centrelink payments in Australia, you may be eligible to continue receiving these payments while overseas. Visit the Department of Human Services for more information.

There are many scholarships, grants and fellowships awarded for a variety of circumstances. Browse our Scholarships page for more information.

Almost all students going on exchange or non-partner programs will need to finance some of their costs out of personal savings. Getting a casual or part-time job in the year or months leading up to your overseas study experience is recommended. Explore the Careers and Employability site for more information.

Whether or not you are allowed to work while studying overseas will be dictated by your student visa. Visit the Living and working overseas webpage on Smartraveller, or contact your host institution for more information.

For more information, visit our Funding options page.