Insurance - Section contents
To ensure you’re better protected as a student, you may require insurance if you are taking part in internships, work experience, special electives or required to travel as part of your studies. When you’re undertaking your approved University course requirements, you can access travel, personal accident, professional indemnity and public liability insurance cover.
If you are a currently enrolled University of Melbourne student and are yet to complete your course requirements, you are eligible for Travel insurance if you are required to travel as part of your course, or if your intended travel has been approved by your Department or Faculty prior to your departure.
- Travel insurance cover is not automatically provided to students. You must apply through the online Travel Insurance Registration system to receive coverage.
- Confirmation of cover is provided by email once you have your application has been fully approved. Both an Initial Staff Approver (nominated by you) and subsequently, a Final Staff Approver (nominated by your Faculty or Department) must approve your application.
- The system will calculate and provide cover for any incidental personal travel declared in your itinerary table up to a maximum number of 14 days before, during or after your University travel journey.
- Travel insurance can be provided up to one week before the first day of compulsory orientation at your host institution, until up to one week after the final exam day.
- The University has no authority to issue student travel insurance after a journey has commenced.
- In addition to applying for travel insurance, Graduate Researchers must also apply for Study Away.
Study abroad and exchange students are required to first contact Melbourne Global Mobility for all travel insurance related queries.
Personal accident, professional indemnity and public liability insurance
As a student, you receive automatic coverage for personal accident, professional indemnity and public liability insurance in connection with your approved course activities, providing that you are currently enrolled and:
- Studying as a graduate researcher, or
- Undertaking the Access Connections Mentorship Program administered by the University’s Melbourne Careers Centre, or
- Under an authorised Student Placement Agreement between the University and a Host Organisation.
You will also be covered for personal accident, professional indemnity and public liability insurance if you are taking part in unpaid work experience, an internship, voluntary work, a medical elective or field placement which is an assessable component of your University of Melbourne course and has been approved in writing by your respective Faculty, School or Department.
For more information check our helpful FAQ on How to register an insurance claim.
Certificates of currency
- 2017–18 Staff, Students and MU Sport Members
- 2017–18 University of Melbourne - Voluntary Workers
- 2017–18 VCA and MCM, Film and TV Volunteers
Host organisation information sheet
On (unpaid) work experience / internships / medical electives