University glossary

Definitions to common terms that you may come across at the University of Melbourne.


Academic Advising at MelbourneAcademic Advising matches you with an academic member of staff in your first year of study. Your academic adviser assists you throughout your degree, and takes an active interest in your wellbeing, progress and success.
Academic calendarImportant University dates, such as semester dates, deadlines and official University holidays during the academic year.
Academic transcriptThe official record of your grades and academic achievements attained during your studies at the University of Melbourne.
Advanced standingCredit points for prior studies completed at other tertiary institutions that can be credited towards your course at the University of Melbourne.
Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA)A special exam sitting offered to students who have been granted Special Consideration for ongoing support and require changes to the scheduled conditions or format of an examination.
Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS)A record of all your higher education qualifications (from all higher education institutions you’ve completed a qualification at).


BooklistThe textbook or readings list for each class.
BreadthA subject outside of your major, minor, or specialisation, usually a subject outside of your home faculty.


Careers OnlineOnline jobs and careers-related events noticeboard for University of Melbourne staff and students.
Census dateThe last day you can withdraw from a subject without being financially liable for its fees.
CitationAppropriately referencing and crediting other people's work where you use it in your own to avoid committing plagiarism.
Class timetable (MyTimetable)MyTimetable generates your class timetable based on the preferences you enter. You'll use it to create your class timetable prior to each study period.
Commencement CeremonyYour Melbourne Commencement Ceremony (MCC) is your official welcome to the University of Melbourne.
Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)Government subsidised enrolment at the University, where you pay a student contribution amount for your tuition fees, and the rest are paid for by the Commonwealth Government.
Community Access ProgramTaking individual subjects (single subject study), not as part of a course (eg to satisfy prerequisites or to expand your study).
ConcessionStudent discounts and deals, such as for public transport (PTV) fares.
Concurrent diplomasAn additional qualification taken alongside a main qualification (eg Diploma of Languages with a Bachelor of Science).
Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)Document for international student visa holders confirming enrolment at the University, to be provided to Home Affairs for student visa purposes.
Core subjectsCompulsory subjects you must complete to meet course requirements.
Course Academic Progress Committee (CAPC)Committee that assesses your circumstances when you make unsatisfactory academic progress (eg repeated fail grades).
Course planningSetting the overall goals and direction, such as majors and graduate pathways, of your study at the University.
Credit pointEach subject is worth a certain number of credit points. A standard subject is 12.5 points; a year of full-time study is 100 credit points.


DeferralKeeping your entry offer to the University, but starting study at a later date (eg to take a gap year).


EduroamA global initiative that allows you to access the WiFi of other educational and research institutions using your University of Melbourne login details.
Elective subjectNon-compulsory subjects, also known as optional subjects, usually related to your main area of study.
EnrolmentOfficially registered to attend and be assessed for a particular subject or course, where you are liable for its associated tuition fees.
Enrolment Lapse DateThe deadline to enrol in your new course and all your subjects for your first year of study.
Enrolment Assistance FormForm used if you are unable to enrol in subjects yourself through your Study Plan, for example if you need a requisite waiver or overload approval.
Entry requirementsRequirements you need to satisfy in order to be offered a place in a course (eg grades, subject prerequisites, English language requirements, fees).
Exam timetableYour personal exam timetable with the date, time and venue of all your exams for the study period.


FEE-HELPAustralian government tuition fee loan for eligible fee-paying students (not Commonwealth Supported Place).
Financial AidStudent loans, grants and scholarships to help pay for study expenses.
Financial liabilityYour responsibility for paying your tuition fees or student contributions, or to defer them via FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP.
Full-time studyStudying at least 37.5 points (3 standard subjects) per half-year period.


Graduate researcherSomeone enrolled in a research degree such as a PhD or the Master of Philosophy (MPhil).


HandbookOfficial and central source of information for all the courses and subjects offered by the University.
HECS-HELPAustralian government tuition fee loan for eligible Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) students.
Hurdle requirementCondition that needs to be met for a certain subject in order for you to pass it (eg attendance or final exam requirements).


Intensive subjectA subject taking less than the standard semester to complete.


Learning Management System (LMS)A system that contains subject information provided by your course coordinator, lecturers and tutors (eg lecture notes, subject readers, contact information for teaching staff).
Leave of absenceTaking up to an approved 12 months of time away from study while keeping your place in your course.


MajorA significant concentration of subjects in a specialised field and is recorded on your academic transcript. Completion of a major is a compulsory course requirement in most undergraduate degrees.
Melbourne Peer Mentor ProgramThe Melbourne Peer Mentor Program is a key step in your transition to the University of Melbourne as a first year student, involving student and peer support, social activities and academic support.
MinorA smaller concentration of subjects in a specialised field and is not recorded on your transcript. Completion of a minor is not a compulsory course requirement.
my.uniLife appThe my.uniLife app helps new undergraduates prepare, connect and get involved in student life at the University of Melbourne.
MyTimetableMyTimetable generates your class timetable based on the preferences you enter. You'll use it to create your class timetable prior to each study period.


Non-allowed subjectUsually a subject that, if you have already taken it or are currently enrolled in it, precludes you from enrolling in another subject, due to strong overlap between the two subjects. Can also include non subject-based conditions that preclude enrolment. 


OrientationEvents before each standard semester begins to help you get to know your course and the campus, usually runs for two weeks.
Over-enrollingTaking more subjects than can be counted towards your course as a whole (eg more than 300 points as an undergraduate student).
OverloadingTaking more subjects than the standard 50 points per half-year period.


Part-time studyTaking less than 37.5 credit points (3 standard subjects) per half-year period.
Planned subjectSubject you have added to your Study Plan, but not yet enrolled in.
Prescribed textCompulsory (textbooks or readings) for a subject.


Quota subjectSubject that allows a limited number of students to enrol (eg lab or field subject where facilities or resources are limited).


Recommended textTextbooks or other resources that are recommended but not compulsory for a subject.
Re-enrolmentIf you are continuing your studies next year, you must enrol in all your subjects for the following year at the end of this year. This notifies the University of your intentions to continue your studies and helps us to plan subjects for you.
Registration for ongoing supportAssistance is available when an ongoing circumstance or an official commitment affects your ability to perform your studies and assessment tasks, and the expected duration is longer than six weeks.
RequisiteA condition that you need to meet in order to be able to enrol in a subject (e.g. a prerequisite, corequisite or non-allowed subject).
Requisite waiverAllows you to enrol in a subject despite not meeting the listed requisites (for example if you have completed equivalent study to a listed prerequisite).


Safer Community ProgramSupport and advice regarding concerning or threatening behaviour, such as discrimination, harassment, or violence.
SanctionA penalty or restriction on your student record, for example related to late re-enrolment, academic misconduct or debt, which may prevent you from accessing results or graduating.
ScholarshipAward with monetary and other benefits, awarded on the basis of academic results, financial need, etc.
Special considerationSupport if your ability to undertake an assessment is affected by illness, bereavement, or trauma.
SpecialisationA specified sequence of subjects that equips you with specialised knowledge in your discipline.
Statement of LiabilityAn invoice that shows all unpaid tuition fees for the year.
Stop 1Student services support, who can help with admin and link you to other services like health, wellbeing, academic skills, careers and more.
Student emailYour official student email, which you need to receive emails from the University and send emails to subject staff.
Student grantsFunding awarded to students for initiatives that benefit a diverse reach of students and improve community engagement.
Student cardID card allowing you to borrow books, access study spaces, verify your identity in exams, receive student discounts, etc.
Student invoiceAn invoice that contains unpaid fees for a certain study period.
Student ITService to help with printing, scanning, your student account and email, student software, tools for notetaking and referencing.
Student LifeEach faculty has a Student Life Team that is there to support you and enhance your University experience. They are responsible for managing the Melbourne Peer Mentor Program and Academic Advising at Melbourne.
Student portal (my.unimelb)Your online student account, linking you to student notices, your student email, student admin, and more.
Student servicesServices to support you during your time at University, including the Health Service, Counselling and Psychological Services, Security, Chaplaincy, Careers and Employability, Library, Academic Skills, housing, Legal Service, Indigenous support service, Financial Aid, Childcare, etc.
Student services workshopsWorkshops relating to careers and employability, study overseas, wellbeing, and more.
Students and Services Amenities Fee (SSAF)Fee that goes towards the funding of University student services, sport facilities and programs, student clubs etc.
Study loadThe amount of subjects you take per study period.
Study periodThere are standard study periods during the University academic year: Semester 1, Semester 2, and Year-Long. Subjects taught outside these standard study periods, such as intensives, are referred to as 'non-standard study period subjects'.
Study planA diagram of your course structure where you enrol in subjects. It includes subjects you have planned or are enrolled in to study in each study period.
Subject codeThe unique code for each subject, consisting of 4 letters and 5 numbers (eg MAST10009).
Supplementary examAn additional exam (after the one you have already taken) offered under certain circumstances.


TestamurYour official graduation certificate confirming you have completed your course.
Timetabling assistance formRequest help with your timetable and subscribe to known timetable issues.


University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU)Student organisation running clubs and societies, events, and support services for all students.
UniWirelessThe University's on-campus wireless network.


Vice-Chancellor (VC)The Chief Executive Officer of the University.
Visitor Centre/ShopShop selling official University of Melbourne merchandise.


WithdrawalStopping studying a subject by un-enrolling from it. Also known as dropping a subject.


Youth allowanceGovernment (Centrelink) financial support for eligible Australians 24 years old or younger.