On 2 August 2018, the Fair Food UniCycle celebrated one year since its maiden voyage. It’s mission? To empower university communities to build a fair, healthy, accessible and inclusive food system.
Since that inaugural expedition, the UniCycle has catered at over 50 University of Melbourne events including Open Days (2018 being no exception where the crew served up delicious pancakes despite inclement weather conditions), o-week, wellness events and reconciliation week. The UniCycle, with its crew of dedicated volunteers have:
- Washed 22, 000 cups, plates and bowls, saving landfill from single use plastics
- Collected 600 answers to the question 'what is your idea for a Fair Food University'
- Delivered 360kgs of free fruit for students
- Served 200 hot dinners at the library during SWOTVAC
- Run 10 food waste workshops, 10+ community kitchen sessions and 4 policy lunches.
The NSP Project is a proud partner and supporter of the UniCycle project, and our congratulations go to the Fair Food Challenge who led the development and manage the running of the initiative.